During a personal or collective crisis, our ego consciousness is overwhelmed and retreats into the healing depths of the personal and collective unconscious with a petition for guidance to negotiate the crisis and trauma. In the unconscious, the Self archetype is activated to respond to this petition. Self consults the archetypes to construct a new paradigm to guide our consciousness. This new paradigm now emerges into our consciousness as a new image as a Mandala. This new image is experienced as meaningful, affectively charged and numinous and becomes a GPS to guide us on; not only to deal with the crisis or trauma but to reset our path towards our teleos and new beginning. The presenters will explore the healing power of the image and amplify a series of images that Synchronistically emerged in collaboration between the presenters in response to the COVID pandemic, racial justice movement and global upheaval. Participants are encouraged to bring an image that has been meaningful to them during this crisis. Participants will be invited to construct their own mandala using some of these insights.
PowerPoint: Slides are included in the video.
Audio: An audio mp3 of the recording is included for your convenience.
- Bedi, A., MD; Jakala, BJ, PH.D. (2020). In the Eye of the Storm- Staying Centered in Personal and Collective Crisis. USA: Mandorla Books.
- Jung, C. G. (1968b). Psychology and alchemy, Volume 12 (2 ed. Vol. 12). London: Routledge & Kegan Paul ; Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University Press., para 122-306
- Describe the psychodynamic adaptation to crisis and trauma mediated by the Self and its Archetypes.
- Explore the activation of a Complementary Image to fill in the missing pieces of Consciousness to optimally respond to the Situation.
- Discover the healing potential of the Image using authors’ and participants’ images.
- Demonstrate a method of creating a Healing Mandala Image by participants.
- Assess the neuroscience of the image.