Help us provide free and affordable education worldwide - Join our community of supporters
Boris Matthews, PhD, LCSW, NCPsyA. 2 hours 34 minutes. Video MP4 and audio MP3 download of a recorded online course.
Topics: Astrology, Society and Culture.
2020 In Turmoil: A Jungian Astrological Perspective
Nobody can doubt that we live in disruptive times. As if the COVID-19 pandemic were not enough, we witness not only social and political turbulence in countries around the world, but also the effects of climate change. Mundane astrology—from the Latin mundus (world) and as distinct from individual astrology—is the astrology affecting the planet, and it offers us a perspective on what I call the “archetypal weather.”
One fundamental notion informs the view from archetypal astrology as it pertains to our Earth: repeated historical periods correlate with repeated planetary cycles. Time is cyclical: we experience patterns now that people before us have experienced. The archetypal weather changes as the planets of the solar system go through their cycles.
In this program, we will look at the archetypal weather astrologically and historically as timed by the interactions of two or more planets. This viewpoint will help us better understand what is currently happening on planet Earth.
There is no prerequisite or prior knowledge needed for attending this class. We will start with basics and build understanding of how astrology and history share cycles charted by the planets. This will help us understand the disruptive times in which we are living.
Suggested readings are arranged in order from introductory to those presenting more detail. The first three are foundational; the other two essays go into greater detail. They are not required to participate in the course.
PowerPoint: The PowerPoint slides are shown in the video.
References: A PDF list of references for images, books, and articles used is included in the download.
Audio: An audio mp3 of the webinar is included in the download.
After this course, viewers will be able to:
1) Describe the principle of correlation among planetary cycles and corresponding historical events;
2) Describe the synergistic effect of pairs of planets in angular relationship; and
3) Explain the present planetary turmoil in historical perspective rather than a unique, one-off phenomenon.
• Grasse, R. (2020). Reflections on Coronavirus and the Saturn-Pluto Conjunction. The Mountain Astrologer, March 20, 2020. https://mountainastrologer.com
• Foss, K. (2020, April). How Epidemics of the Past Changed the Way Americans Lived. www.smithsonianmag.com
• Karacostas, A. (2020). Co-Creating our Future. The Mountain Astrologer, April 22, 2020. https://mountainastrologer.com
• Murray, J. (2018). “Seeing the Big Picture: Working with the Transits of 2020.” The Mountain Astrologer, December 2018–January 2019. https://mountainastrologer.com
• Grasse, R. (2019). Turning Point: The United States’ Pluto Return. The Mountain Astrologer, December 2019-January 2020. https://mountainastrologer.com
Boris Matthews, PhD, LCSW, NCPsyA graduated from the C. G. Jung Institute of Chicago in 1987 and maintains a practice of analytical psychology in the Milwaukee and Madison, WI, areas. He is particularly interested in working with persons who recognize the need to develop a balanced adaptation to the “outside” and to the “inside” worlds, work that involves awareness of the individual’s psychological typology. Dreams, active imagination, and spiritual concerns are integral elements in the analytic work, the ultimate goal of which is to develop a functioning dialog with the non-ego center, the Self. At the Chicago Institute, he serves on the faculty and various committees, supervises analytic candidates, and has served as the Director of Training of the Analyst Training Program, 2009–2013, and again beginning in 2017. He conducts study groups in Madison as well as by video conference. Integrating astrology into analytical / Jungian psychology has long been an interest.
© 2020 Boris Matthews.Ⓟ 2021 CG Jung Institute of Chicago.